Applying for EU Settled Status

Legal Updates

EU Flag

If you are an EU citizen (or a citizen of Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein), you are in the UK and you wish to stay in the UK after the Brexit transition period ends, you need to apply for EU Settled Status.

The settled status scheme is open to people who are EU citizens (or citizens of Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein) and their non-EU family members who arrive in the UK before 31 December 2020.

You will need to apply before 30 June 2021.

You need to apply for Settled Status even if you already have “Permanent Residence” because this form of immigration status is granted under EU law and is only valid while the UK is still in the transition period of Brexit – after this, “permanent residence” will no longer give you the right to stay in the UK.

Read the Home Office guidance on applying for Settled Status here. You can find translations of this guidance here.

Read Free Movement’s clear and comprehensive guide to applying here. The guide includes images and a “walk-through” video of the application process.


Leave a Reply

Please note Right to Remain cannot provide immigration legal advice that is specific to your individual asylum and immigration application.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.