To celebrate 10 years of the Right to Remain Toolkit, we are taking our Toolkit across the country, to ensure those who need it are able to access it, and to (re)connect with organisations supporting people seeking asylum in other areas of the UK. As the Government intensifies its hostile environment, we believe we must work together in radical solidarity to fight these continuing injustices against our communities.
So on 16th May, we will be hosting our fourth Toolkit Festival in London. This event, held in the heart of Shoreditch, will bring together communities, organisations and groups from across London for a day of workshops, talks, discussion and networking, providing a safe space building radical solidarity in the migration justice sector.
You can expect practical sessions in the morning (10am to 1pm), including:
- Workshops looking at stages of the asylum process and changes made by the Nationality and Borders Act.
- A deeper look into the Streamlined Asylum Processing questionnaire
- Discussion on the Illegal Migration Bill, and practical steps to take
- To learn how to give legal support safely, without giving legal advice
In the afternoon (2pm to 5pm), we shift our focus on building our power and solidarity and strategising. The sessions include:
- Skill-share session led by hot grassroots campaigners that are spreading radical solidarity! Presenters include West London Welcome, English for Action, United Impact (at Project 17) and These Walls Must Fall.
- Celebrating 10 years of the Toolkit and horizon scanning: how to boost migrant community’s ability to navigate the hostile asylum and immigration legal system in the future. Panelists include Lisa Matthews (Policy and Campaigns Manager at Young Roots, the very person who developed our Toolkit!), Alison Harvey (Barrister, One Pump Court and formerly at ILPA, Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association) and Eiri Ohtani (Director, Right to Remain). More to be announced soon.
- Networking with other groups supporting people seeking asylum and migrants in London
What is the process for signing up?
Simply fill in the registration form below. And you have two options – free, or paid registration…
1. Paid registration for funded organisations
We have now introduced a small fee of £10.00 for volunteers and workers of funded organisations to attend our workshops. This is to mitigate no shows and maximise attendance, and allow our very small staff team to plan their work and allocate their time more efficiently
2. FREE registration
But don’t worry – people who are currently going through the asylum and immigration system and volunteers of unfunded organisations can continue to attend our workshops for free.
We are accepting a maximum of 2 people per organisation to ensure that the workshop content is available to a wider pool of people.
SUPPORT OUR WORK
On reaching the UK, people face a hostile environment. Without help, many will be forcibly sent back to the wars, persecution and misery they have fled.
Your donation will help us to help people in their struggle for the right to remain in the UK, and to campaign for migration justiceDONATE TO RIGHT TO REMAIN