Contacting the Home Office about permission to work

Legal Updates

image of the Home Office's permission to work policy document

We get a lot of people contacting us with queries about requesting permission to work from the Home Office, when you have been waiting a long time for a decision on your asylum claim.

As a reminder, the immigration rules allow for you to request permission to work (by default, people who have claimed asylum in the UK are prohibited from working) if you have been waiting for more than 12 months on your asylum claim “through no fault of your own”. This may be 12 months after initially claiming asylum, or 12 months after submitting further submissions to be considered as a fresh claim.

Almost everybody granted permission to work under this policy is only allowed to work in a job on the shortage occupation list.

Contacting the Home Office

Following two legal challenges, the Home Office has amended its published policy on granting permission to work. In this new document, they specify the contact details for requesting permission.

All applications for permission to work from asylum seekers or failed asylum seekers should be made by writing to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and should include the following information:

  • full name of the applicant, date of birth and nationality
  • Home Office reference number
  • a statement setting out the request for permission to work
  • contact details for the applicant and legal representative (if they have one)

Applications must be sent to the one of the following teams:

Asylum Casework Teams

Asylum seekers awaiting an initial decision on their claim should submit any request for permission to work via email to or by post to: Permission to Work Team, Asylum Operations, Department 139, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP

Refused Case Management

Applications for permission to work from failed asylum seekers who have outstanding further submissions are dealt with by Refused Case Management and should be sent via email to or by post to: Permission to Work Team, Administrative Unit, Level 7, The Capital, New Hall Place, Liverpool, L3 9PP


On reaching the UK, people face a hostile environment. Without help, many will be forcibly sent back to the wars, persecution and misery they have fled.

Your donation will help us to help people in their struggle for the right to remain in the UK, and to campaign for migration justice



4 comments on “Contacting the Home Office about permission to work

  1. christine nyandera on

    pls grant people leave to remain some of us we’re been in this country for 16 years no jobs ,house and we’re not claiming for benefits we don’t what that pls grant as work permit so we can work.what is the point of bringing people from outside the country when they many asylum seekers who are willing to work when they’ve given a chance. I will be glad to hear from us on xx

  2. Wasiq Ali on

    This is only not a solution just after 12 Month they allow to work according to SOL list because example out of 100 people 95 are not a able to do work according to SOL list because they dont have that high qualified skill according the job list so better is allow them to do any kind of work they can find just mention restrictions on that they must need to pay NI then make sense i think. otherwise is useless SOL list.

  3. Naveen on

    For this sept 9th my asylum seeking application completes one year. What process should i do to get work permit as i have skills to work in shortage occupations.

    • RtR on

      Hi Naveen. If you have a look at the blog post you can find the process information there – you can see which team to contact depending on your situation and what information you need to include.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.