If you are an EEA/Swiss national, you were in the UK before 11pm on 31 December 2020, and you wish to stay in the UK, you need to apply to the the EU Settled Status scheme. This scheme may allow you to stay in the UK now that Brexit has happened and the UK is no longer part of the EU. If you were in the UK before 11pm on 31 December 2020, in most circumstances the deadline to apply to the Settled Status scheme was 30 June 2021.
Even though this main deadline has passed, it’s still possible to apply to the EU Settled Status scheme if you have what the Home Office consider to be “reasonable grounds” for delay.
The Home Office list includes:
- children who did not know they needed to apply, or whose parent, guardian or local authority didn’t apply for them
- you had a medical condition, or you have a physical or mental capacity issue meaning you couldn’t apply
- you couldn’t apply because of Coronavirus restrictions
- you are a victim of modern slavery; or in a abusive or controlling relationship
- you didn’t have internet access or the digital skills to make the application
- you had permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain and you didn’t know you needed to apply
- you came to the UK on another kind of visa, and didn’t know that you had become eligible to apply to the scheme
- “another compelling practical or compassionate reason” prevented you applying
The Home Office guidance reminds you that you will need to provide evidence of your reasonable grounds for missing the deadline.
Read our guide to the EU Settled Status scheme to find out more.
SUPPORT OUR WORK
On reaching the UK, people face a hostile environment. Without help, many will be forcibly sent back to the wars, persecution and misery they have fled.
Your donation will help us to help people in their struggle for the right to remain in the UK, and to campaign for migration justiceDONATE TO RIGHT TO REMAIN