We’ve published a brand new section of the online Right to Remain Toolkit – on asylum support.

piles of coins

Back in 2017, the Unity Centre in Glasgow highlighted the risks faced by people receiving asylum (financial) support who had been issued with Aspen cards, which replaced the old system of using your Asylum Registration Card (ARC card) to collect cash from a Post Office.

It’s now clear that this is not just a possibility, but something that is happening in practice.

If you have claimed asylum, and do not have anywhere to live and/or money to support yourself (you are “destitute”), you may be entitled to  “asylum support”.  This is administered by the Home Office and includes housing – if needed – and basic living expenses.